Ever since the advent of Google Sheets, it’s never been convenient to create spreadsheets online. Having your spreadsheets online means you always have a backup of your documents on the cloud and you can easily share or edit them with others.
Apart from the ability to create spreadsheets, the tool encompasses more features that help bring your document to life. One such feature, for example, is adding tick boxes or rather checkboxes to your spreadsheets.
Using checkboxes in your Google Sheets document is an excellent way to keep track of your to-dos or shopping lists plus whichever use case you might want to use them for.
If you’re trying to figure out how you can add checkboxes in Google Sheets, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, you’ll learn how to do so you can enjoy the satisfaction of checking off the tasks you’ve already accomplished.
Also, if you’ve been wondering whether the feature is available on mobile phones and tablets, worry not. By the end of this read, you’ll have all the answers. Let’s dive right in.
How to Add a Checkbox in Google Sheets on a PC
Computers provide a better view and less room for making mistakes compared to mobile phones. For that reason, you might want to use it for any operations pertaining to your documents. To add a checkbox to your Google Sheets document using your PC, follow these steps:
- Launch your browser and go to Google Sheets.
- Open the document you want to add a checkbox to.
- Highlight the column you want to add checkboxes to.
- On the navbar, navigate to “Insert” then select the “Tick box” option.
With the “Tick box” option selected, your selected column should now be populated with checkboxes that you can check and uncheck as you please. If you don’t want the effect to affect all the columns, select the cells you want affected and repeat the above process.
How to Insert a Checkbox in Google Sheets Using an Android Phone
If you want to insert a checkbox to your spreadsheets using the Android app, you’re in luck today. Although not straightforward, you can use a few tweaks to add a checkbox to your spreadsheets using the app. Here’s how to go about the process.
- On your Android phone,download and install the Google Sheets app.
- Tap the plus icon in the bottom left corner of the screen to open a new spreadsheet.
- Select the cells you’d like to add a checkbox.
- Tap the three dots in the top right corner of the screen.
- From the options, select “Data Validation”
- Under the “criteria” drop down menu, select the “Tick box”option.
- Hit “Save” in the top right corner of the window.
- Your highlighted cells should now be pre populated with check boxes which can be ticked.
If you enjoy the satisfaction of ticking tasks off your to-do list, you’d definitely want to know how to create it using the Google Sheets’ checkbox feature. Here’s how to go about the process:
- Go to Google Sheet and create two columns.
- Insert checkboxes into the first column.
- On the second column, key in the tasks you’d like to accomplish.
- Navigate to “Format” then “Conditional formatting.”
- Under “Apply to range” enter “B1:B1001”.
- Under the “Format cells if …” dropdown menu,select “Custom formula is”
- In the formula box type in “=A:A=TRUE.”
- Under “formatting style” go ahead and choose the preferred style for you checked items.For instance,you can strie through the items,change their color or even the font size.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you add a checkbox to a Google Sheets Document Using an iPad or an iPhone
Unfortunately, there’s no way for iOS users to insert checkboxes to their documents using the Google Sheets app. If you’re an iOS user, the most you can do is to check off the boxes after creating them using a computer.
Enjoy the Satisfaction of Checking Items Off Your To-do List
As you can see, adding checkboxes to your Google Sheets documents isn’t a pickle. In fact you can play around with them to create even cooler effects such as to-do lists and shopping lists.
Are there any other ways of adding checkboxes to your document other than the one we’ve mentioned above? Do you have a tweak that you can use to accomplish the same task on a mobile phone or tablet? Please share with us in the comments sections below.